Thursday, November 3, 2011

Feels Like Home


I want to start by saying I like all of my roommates, actually one of them even inspired my post today. Courtney started her own blog and wrote today about how many times we are always on the go and rushing around trying to cross another thing off our do to list. She encouraged herself to slow down and take a breath of fresh air. So thanks Court for that reminder...look at her blog here.
I live with five other girls and rarely do I ever get the place to myself. Tonight for about twenty minutes I got exactly that. I took full advantage of it. I shut and locked the door, closed the blinds, and turned off those annoying florescent lights. I turned on my Mrs. Musser play list, some softer mood lighting, and the stove to make a “great American dish.” (Movie reference anyone?) Once my wheat mac and cheese was finished I sat down and simply enjoyed it. I didn’t eat it while watching television, going on the computer, or even picking up my phone. I sat alone, in very dim lighting, perfectly quiet eating. Now I know that sounds so silly, and sitting here writing this I am contemplating posting this for others to read, but it was my breath of fresh air. It was something I needed, to shut out (literally) the world around me and just enjoy time. 
As my music changed the song “Feels Like Home” came on. It got me thinking…here at school our room mates sometimes call our room “home.” But this really isn’t our home. Then I thought about my cozy, extremely red house in the great state of Wisconsin, but you know that really isn’t home either. We as Christians have never actually been to our home. While reading in Peter this week I came across this phrase where he calls us “foreigners in the land.” This world is not our permanent home…God has prepared a place for us for greater than we can imagine. How great is that? So we don’t really know what home feels like exactly, but I truly believe that there are times when God shows us glimpses of what is to come.

So today while you are busy crossing things off your to do list and running all over, take a few minutes as Courtney suggested to take a breath, this world can wait…it’s not like it’s your permanent home anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment